I have decided to begin with an overview about metabolic pathways. Before I start to detail those pathways, I will reserve the first posts to an abstract of the most important aspects of the different processes of the so-called main metabolism.
- Type of metabolic pathway: catabolic, linear
- Main goal: energy production from glucose degradation
- Subcellular localization: cytosol
- Conditions required to occur: aerobic and/or anaerobic
- Number of biochemical reactions: 10
- Energetic output (per glucose molecule): +2 ATP e +2 NADH
- Final product (per glucose molecule): 2 piruvate